Hey folks,

I've scoured a bunch of sites, including some made with reference to older cinelerra versions, about how to make the best DVD possible. By best, I mean the most compatible, highest quality mpeg footage. I'd like to compare notes with others on the list who are rendering to finally create DVD-playable video.

My input footage is NTSC minidv brought in with dvgrab, as well as still photos scaled and such. After setting up the timeline, creating labels for each chapter, I render the following:

AC3 audio, 192kbit

MPEG2 video, 7500Kbps CBR, bottom field first, denoised (I don't do the GOP thing or deinterlacing). This invokes mpeg2enc, which seems to produce good results (I don't mind the rendering taking longer than ffmpeg if the output is good).

The one thing I've noticed is on one DVD player, I was unable to fast forward more than at 4x (It went up to 32x with ffmpeg). I think this is the constant bit rate in action. Is CBR necessary for maximum compatibility? Would be happy to move to VBR if the disc will still play everywhere DVD-R will work.

What are others doing?  Any playback problems?

-Brendan