I'm a brand-new cinelerra user trying to edit some MPEG-4 video/audio streams in Cinelerra. When I open a clip, only a small portion of the video frames show up. My original video is 640x480. When I open it in Cinelerra, the resulting frames are much smaller and incomplete. I either see a sliver (about 10x480) or a quarter of the full frame. Any idea what could be causing this?

I've tried using mencoder to convert to various formats. I've converted my stream to an AVI with MPEG-4 video and MPEG-3 audio. When I open that stream in Cinelerra, I get the full video, but no audio.

Does anyone have any tips on getting an MPEG-4 video and audio into a format Cinerella can handle?