Hi everyone,

As a novice cinelerra user, I've run into a heinous problem every now and again. After doing some work on a video, I'll save, do some more, save.... for a day or two. Normally when I start up again, the xml file is a few dozen to a few hundred k. Every now and again, it's 5 megabytes large, fails to load, and makes me weep in an unmanly way (tm). The physical characteristic of the problem appears to be null keyframes being inserted into the xml file, like this:

<PLUGIN LENGTH="0" TYPE="0" TITLE="">
<IN></IN><OUT></OUT><ON></ON>
<KEYFRAME POSITION="0" DEFAULT="1"></KEYFRAME>
</PLUGIN>

Thousands of them.  Tens of thousands.  Hundreds of thousands of them.

As to where they come from, it appears to be the result of tweaking plugin parameters *while* cinelerra is doing playback. I've not investigated this problem, but I do have a bandaid of a solution, written in perl:

#!/usr/bin/perl
while($_=<STDIN>)
  {
  if ( $_ =~ /PLUGIN LENGTH="0"/ )
    {
    $skipped=0;
    while($skipped==0)
      {
      $_=<STDIN>;
      if ( $_ =~ /\/PLUGIN/ )  { $skipped=1; }
    }
  }
  print $_;
}

To use it, just save it as 'unexplode', make it executable and use "unexplode < bloated.xml > lean.xml" to strip out all plugins of length 0. Hopefully there aren't any desirable plugins of length 0!

-Brendan