Nicolas wrote:
You second pass starts and use the logfile of the first pass when the
first pass isn't finished.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. The first is finished when I start the second pass. I agree with you that doing a 2nd pass while the first is still in progress misses the point of two|n-pass encoding. Let me outline the process a bit more clearly:

1. Render your film's audio to a wave file, say "final-cut-direct.wav"

2. Render your film's video using YUV4MPEG pipe and mencoder. I've called the rendered file "hiQ-x264-shizuocha.avi" (which replaces the %). The lone '-' tells mencoder to expect piped input from standard in. -audiofile tells mencoder to use final-cut-direct.wav as the audio (mencoder won't encode without both audio and video present, and this way, it's multiplexed together at the same time). You can even use -af channels to simulate surround sound if you didn't do that in your cinelerra sessions. Here is the pipe command:

mencoder - -audiofile ./final-cut-direct.wav -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3 -noaspect -noskip -ovc x264 -x264encopts crf=20:subq=6:4x4mv:8x8dct:me=3:frameref=5:bframes=3:b_pyramid:weight_b:pass=1 -passlogfile hiQ-pass1.log -o %

3. Wait for cinelerra/mencoder to finish their work.

4. Start the second pass, using the complete "hiQ-x264-shizuocha.avi" file. This time, the input file is "hiQ-x264-shizuocha.avi" and not '-' (standard in). Use -oac copy because you don't need to re-encode the audio.

mencoder hiQ-x264-shizuocha.avi -oac copy -noaspect -noskip -ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=1000:crf=20:subq=6:4x4mv:8x8dct:me=3:frameref=5:bframes=3:b_pyramid:weight_b:pass=2 -passlogfile ../hiQ-pass1.log -o hiQ-x264-shizuocha-p2.avi

I've done the video testing you've mentioned, and cinelerra does indeed have quality problems when exporting back to dv (in my cases). Any graphic layovers (from svg-derived png files, jpg stills, or even the titler video effect) or faster horizontal motion (pans, moving scenery) are horrendously re-encoded. I prefer as few transitional files as possible.

Joe