I've never had a crash so far, but maybe it is because I've only created
very simple menus with a background image, no music, and set-it to go
ahead and burn directly to DVD.

The main reason I use QDVDAuthor, is because it is very easy to use and
produces (at least for me) DVD's that will play on any DVD. (I do
understand that proper rendering & mplexing is also critical)

IMHO, I believe that it is critical to have a complete set of tools to
*painlessly* create fully working, profesional looking DVD's in Linux. It
directly impacts the media production path line that Cinelerra is part of,
and thus the growth of Cinelerra's largest potential userbase (the home
amateur editor crowd)

Personally I use:

DVCam (Cannon zr40 ntsc) ->dvgrab->Cinelerra->QDVDAuthor->DVD

I also use Audacity and Gimp to create collateral materials.

alx.