Clearly there are two very different directions and I don't think they
necessarily negate each other (although using pipes would probably stray
from what's specified by the bounty).

1. Allowing rendering to video and audio pipes (or a combined video/audio
pipe), and user-specified backgrounded command lines to process the
pipe(s) (e.g. the current yuv4mpegpipe-to-pipe rendering), is _very_
flexible, but also quite user un-friendly.

2. Completely integrated DVD rendering will be much more user-friendly,
but will be much less flexible.

My opinion is Cinelerra would be a better tool with _both_ options.  For
advanced users, rendering to pipes can be very useful (not just for DVD
rendering); you can run video or audio through external filters that
aren't available in cinelerra (e.g.  yuvdenoise, yuvscaler, sox, etc.),
while the integrated option would be best for all new users and would
be a quick and hassle-free way to create a DVD.

--
Dan Streetman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]