My specific output requirements will be for DVD, of course, and also for
a podcast-like compact web clip format. So far I have found that a
quicktime container containing DV and mpeg audio plays in mplayer, loads
back into cinelerra.  It's my quick render format of the week.

Clearly getting the final output I need is going to take a lot of
experimenting.  Getting off mpeg audio in the intermediary format will
be a plus.

My troubles with rendering have definitely caused me to learn about the
various revisions. I know wonder if I would have been fine with the
kiberpipa packages for x86_32 ubuntu, since I went 64-bit and started
compiling my own because of the same render problem, and readings that
64-bit was recommended for 'stability.'

A few months back we were involved in a 'Music Video Shootout,'
essentially make a music video in 24 hours.  The FCP (a dual g5) Machine
crashed and it took us 5 *hours* to get it running again.  So stable is
sorta relative here :P  If it restarts from crashes, succeeds in
recovering it's backup, and generally completes large renders if they
are done to formats known to work, it's 'stable' IMHO.  Basically if we
can work it, and then walk away from a 14 hour render.

Now I have r836 for 64 bit, and much more knowledge about how to compile
cinelerra, and about ubuntu 64.  Since my purpose in all this is to
build and maintain the NLE/Render systems for a project, none of this
additional unix-fu I've learned will hurt me down the road :)

I've found that quicktime container with dv and mpeg audio works, and
plays back in mplayer.  I'm sorta thinking that if it plays back in
mplayer I should be able also to re-encode.