Am 20.08.2006 um 07:48 schrieb Pierre Marc Dumuid:

Adrian Prantl wrote:
Hi everybody!

Just in case anybody is interested in running Cinelerra on MacOS X:
I just updated the old patch to work with the current SVN version.

This is the first raw version and it still needs some cleanup, but I surely would like to see it commited to svn one day!
Thank you, and I will do once the merge is over..
I'm rather interested to see it running on my Friends mac. Does it work on both x86 and PPC?? (which are you using?)

Very nice!

I can only test it on my trusty PowerBook G4, so the answer would be PPC. But on the other hand, since I'm only relying on packages that fink&darwinports provide, I'm pretty confident that it would work on x86 too.

There are some obvious problems that I see:
*) Most OSX users don't care about compiling their software from source.
If we really want people to use Cinelerra, someone would have to create a nice Application Bundle with Universal Binaries and all data inside the package. An alternative route would be to integrate Cinelerra with fink. (http://fink.sf.net) But then, there would be no nice icon to click ;-) *) Someone would have to write an audio driver that works on OSX. (my personal preference would be Jack - http://www.jackaudio.org/ - but that's a totally different story) *) Darwin provides different IPC mechanisms than Linux - this is the reason why I had to disable renderfarm[client,server] for now.

One thing that I still don't know is how to produce a universal binary with an autotools based project. (Update: I found this link: http://www.algorithm.com.au/mt/mac_os_x/ creating_universal_binaries_with_gnu_autotools.html) But I still can imagine problems with code that decides e.g. endianness on configure time...
Is there anyone on this list who has experience with this?

cheers,
Adrian