actually a bit differently from what I posted previously

1) Run Cinelerra from console
/usr/bin/cinelerra
in my case that told me that libx264.so.45 was missing.

2) see what libx264 you have.
in the console,
cd /usr/lib
ls libx264*

that showed me I had libx264.so.46

3) link that libx264 version to the one Cinelerra requests
You will need to enter as root
su
(enter password)
ln -s libx264.so.46 libx264.so.45

This apparently (?) makes Cinelerra believe you have libx264.so.45 while
it actually uses libx264.so.46.

4) Run Cinelerra

well, it hasn't crashed yet.  It complains it cannot find a couple
plugins and cannot open the usr/bin/cinelerra directory, but otherwise
seems fine.

It still has that runaway thing that when I start play, sometimes it
will not want to stop and will become completely unresponsive.  Any fix
for that?

Yama