My understand of Lives is that it is/was intended to "VJ'ing", live mixing of video.  Not sure how it would go with movie editing.

On 9/6/06, Miha Kitič <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I gave a quick look to Lives as the screenshots seemed to be very
promising. The program started, however I was unable to import any
video file. Whenever I tried, the program simply crashed.

They say that Debian based Ubuntu version is still in testing stage.
But at the moment Lives is just not very useful for me.

Nevertheless, the first impression of this software
is promissing and it may be useful tool in the future.
But I would still put my bet on Cinelerra, especially
when it comes to serious video editing.

All the best!

Miha