Hannes,
You beat me to the punch, as I've been in meetings all day and have not
had time to close out this issue.  So thanks for clarifying the
resolution.

All you ATI folks, I'm sorry to say that you probably are in for a rude
surprise with ATIs' "OpenGL2.0" Linux driver implementation.  After 1
1/2 days of finally getting my ATI All in Wonder 9800 Pro to actually
use OpenGL and see it working well (5000FPS on glxgears), it was very
disheartening to see that ATI had not provided the proper 2.0 hooks for
Cinelerra to use.

In light of this situation, today I went to B&H Photo and bought an
Nvidia 7800GS AGP, 512MB.  Twenty minutes after getting home, the card
was in the box, drivers were compiled, installed and working.  Fifteen
minutes after that, Cinelerra was compiled and I was using OpenGL2.0!
Yeehoo!!  And at twice the playback speed of what I was getting
previously with the ATI card.  I will report back on the performance of
this card once I actually USE it.
:)

For those who might find the troubleshooting conversation interesting,
the IRC chat log from yesterday is here:
http://cvs.cinelerra.org/irclog/index.php?file=2006-09-13.html

I learned quite a bit, not being an active C programmer.

By the way, that log is a font of information for folks who'd like to
know more about anything Cinelerra related.  I learned quite a bit just
by perusing the last few days of entries.  However, I find it hard to
get up at 3:30am EDT to join in! ;)

Also, I'm considering pulling out and categorizing some relevant tips
from the past few months like this one from HermanR:
"You can get cool twinkle effects with animate blurs. Those are hard to
check out without test rendering..The most noticeable twinkles are when
the x blur and y blur vary independently, or in opposite direction. That
creates a wobbling deformation. Combine it with the wave plugin, and you
could get a fairly convincing water reflection simulation."

In my beginner's head, that's pure gold.

Thanks again to Hannes for all the help,
scott