Hi!

I am also new to ubuntu linux, but for me to install cinelerra
from Kiberpipa precompiled package was very easy. I had no
problem whatsoever... just selected it from Synaptic and it worked.

I wonder why it doesn't work for you...
How about do a clean install of Linux and try again
from synaptic?

I feel if we try to do a lot of 'magic'
(e.g. compilig, precompiling, overdownloading etc.) some
things that should be easy suddenly stop working.

If I were you and I didn't have a lot of important things
installed already, I would just put on a new install
and try again from the scratch. Then I would at least now
that it is not my fault.

That is just a thought though. If someone knows what
you are doing wrong, please lend a hand.

Good luck!

Miha