Alex Ferrer wrote:
> Merge with ?
>
> By default I am open to any other format or anything that helps...  so
> whatever it is I am for it.
>
> On a side note, what I am taking from this thread is:
>
> A) The wiki is slow -
> Agree.. I will try to cajole the guys at taxnetusa.com to see if they
> can move us to a faster server .. (I am getting the bandwith for free..
> so I will see what some begging can do )
>
> 2) Having to be online to browse the wiki is a problematic.
> Again agree..  I will see if the export to HTML plugin can solve that
> one.. It would be great to ship the documentation with the source.
>
> 3) The wiki is broken into too many pages and is hard to navigate.
> Am I reading this right ? if so, anyone can create a single wiki page
> that refers to as many pages as you wish in a single page. basically
> it would be a gigenormous page that should look a lot like Secrets of
> Cinelerra, + pictures

Just generating a static version from the wiki often doesnt suffice, a
wiki is at best structured for browsing, often rather unstructured (ok
the cinelerra wiki get this right)

I showed how to solve this on my wiki with a few simple steps:
 - Create a 'hardcopy' page which includes other (less structured) wiki
   pages in a well intended manner.
 - use the wiki's print-view and htmltops (or some similar tool) to
   generate a static version which is useable for printing.

so how does that look like in real (just a example, not complecte content):

The 'hardcopy' page in raw syntax:
http://www.pipapo.org/pipawiki/Cinelerra/Print?action=raw

Print-View:
http://www.pipapo.org/pipawiki/Cinelerra/Print?action=print

and a example PDF generated from that could look like:
http://www.pipapo.org/pipawiki/Cinelerra/Developers?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=text.pdf

there are still some problems, and I use a moin-wiki not a twiki, but
twiki has similar features and the bugs left, formatting glitches can
easily be fixed by some sed-script hooked into the process.

Idea behind would be to generate the static version occationally and
check that into the source tree. The scripts doing this should be part
of the distribution too.

(a static html version with wget or a mirror tool is also easy)

> I think that if I get the server to be faster, it will solve a lot of
> issues. the main one being to attract more people to contribute material
> to the wiki.

I agree and using a wiki is the simpliest way to attract people.
If we agree on a workflow like I sketched above, it would be nice to
feed 'Secrets of Cinelerra' into the wiki.

        Christian