So, I can't imagine a schedule is reasonable given the development at
the moment.  But I've been wrong before.  What do you propose?

well, if we dont have a regular schedule (every month, for example), developers could send a mail when svn is OK for a new tarball. maybe someone else could check with a script as you said but i prefer that devels inform us because they are directly involved in the changes.

another posibility could be scheduling some micro-freezes every 2 months or so. in those pseudo-freezes devels could leave svn in a usable state for 1 day or 2 so packagers can do their job. this involves devels and packagers, is this kind of relationship i was talking about.

i would like to hear opinions from developers on this topic.

--
     ^ ^