Johannes Sixt wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 December 2006 16:38, Christian Thaeter wrote:
>> my svn->git sync broke recently because of a unknown author (welcome
>> rafael2k :P), no big problen and easy to fix but anyways: How about
>> maintaining the AUTHORS files instead leaving it empty? currently I have
>>  http://www.pipapo.org/.cinelerra-svn_sync/authors
>> I would just suggest to check that into the svn as AUTHORS. Then I can
>> remove the lowercase version and whenever a new auhtor appears someone
>> (maybe me, in the git tree, since I will notice when it breaks) would
>> care about new commiters. May someone with svn access do this? then i'll
>> update my script.
>
> I'm not sure that this is the best thing to do. The authors file that you
> need
> can only list the authors with svn access and must conform to a very strict
> syntax, but OTOH there is at least also HV to be mentioned in AUTHORS plus
> possibly a lot of other people who have contributed patches.

Yes, the Syntax needs to be conform what git wants, while the GNU coding
standards mandate another syntax. Currently the AUTHORS file is empty
which has no use for either git nor gnu coding standards. So far I dont
know any other tool which parses the AUTHORS file which is in moderate
frequent use (correct me if I am wrong). So having a readable but
slightly unexpected syntax is not problematic.

The authors file I need has to contain at least all svn committers, but
there is in no way a restriction to to add more than that. I would
strongly opt for honor anyone ever worked on cinelerra there, also from
the HV/upstream list.

I think this would be far better than the current no-solution, maybe not
perfect but I see absolutely no harm with it.

Finally, this thing isn't really worth much discusion. I can keep the
'authors' file and fix it whenever someone new appears as committer.

        Christian