On 2007-01-13 11:56, Nicolas Maufrais wrote:
> Hello Kevin,
>

> > Anyway, please don't suggest that the new manual wiki completely
> > replaces the old one, especially if content is left out.
>
> Mmmm... You got it wrong here. Here's the situation:
> - the initial wiki contents was put in the manual. I spent tens of hours
>   to do this.
> - then, I worked on the manual, so much work was necessary
> - during that time, some people continued to edit the twiki
> - now, the new wiki is online, and the twiki contents which was added in
>   from Nov 8 2006 to today isn't in the manual. You can have a look at
>   the Twiki changes here:
>   http://ftconsult.taxnetusa.com/twiki/bin/view/Cinelerra/WebChanges

No, I did not get it wrong.  Please review the content I mention before
making such claims.  I understand if you left some content out of the
new manual, but the content at the link I posted has been in the Twiki
much longer than Nov 6, 2006.  That page has not been changed since Aug
2006.

> - The twiki is available in more languages than the Cinelerra-CV manual.
>   some people work on the brazilian and italian translation, but nobody
>   replied to my "Translators call" I made on this mailing-list some
>   weeks ago, for the other languages. It could be also useful to see
>   that IRC log:
>   http://cvs.cinelerra.org/irclog/index.php?file=2007-01-11.html
>   Look at the conversation ga and I had.
>   That conversation also explain why a new wiki was necessary.
>
> I sent an email to Alex some days ago. As I said, Alex said he'll add a
> message about the new wiki on the Twiki. Moreover, I think he'll
> deactivate the editing feature on the twiki, in order to avoid people
> adding new changes in the new twiki. Changes should now be made in the
> new wiki to avoid me having to merge the contents of the twiki in the
> manual again. Please understand that task is in now way easy. Look at
> the changelog of the new manual here, and you'll understand:
> http://pipapo.org/gitweb?p=cinelerra-nicolasm;a=log
> The twiki->manual contents merge was finished on Tue, 14 Nov 2006.
>
> So, to conclude:
> - there're still some new twiki contents to copy in the manual
> - I'm now not the only one to do this, people who added that contents in
>   the twiki are welcome to put them in the new wiki. If nobody does,
>   I'll do it, but please understand that I was, in the last days,
>   working on other documentation-related tasks.
> - the twiki will stay online. Should we take out of it the translated
>   stuff (which isn't the manual), put them in a online document, and
>   totally remove the twiki? Would that reduce confusion (understand that
>   word is important, when you take into account what the doc situation
>   was some months ago)
>
> I created a page in the new wiki to discuss about those issues. The goal
> is to get all the ideas/questions/remarks at the *SAME* place. It's
> available here:
> http://cvs.cinelerra.org/docs/wiki/doku.php?id=documentation
> There's a link to that page on the main page of the new wiki. Please
> don't hesitate to use it.
>
> Kevin, do you want to merge the twiki contents added between Nov 8 2006
> and today? That would help, for sure. Nobody edited the wiki apart from
> me (puting the new editions of the manual in it). Contributors are
> welcome, don't hesitate to edit it.

I would like it made clear that some content is not in the new manual.
I'm somewhat offended that you are suggesting all the content is, and
are asking people to add content which was already in the older wiki.
Several of us put a good amount of time into information in the older
wiki.  Please remember those contributions also.

I understand you did a lot of work on the new format, and you have a
vested interest in supporting it.

--
Kevin