> Hi Griff
> I have just read your long post to Bill and hope you can help/advise
> me too. Having converted to Ubuntu only 3 months ago this is my third
> attempt to install Cinelerra without luck.

I think you should be able to install it if you add the following
repository to your sources.list:

#ubuntu edgy
deb http://giss.tv/~vale/ubuntu32 ./
deb-src http://giss.tv/~vale/ubuntu32 ./

Or, if you've got an amd64 machine:

#ubuntu edgy amd64
deb http://giss.tv/~vale/ubuntu64 ./
deb-src http://giss.tv/~vale/ubuntu64 ./

Make sure you've enabled universe, or multiverse, or whatever they call
it in Ubuntu (I use Debian, with the debian-multimedia repository, but
I think in Ubuntu it's some fruity name like "universe", or
something).  Then, run aptitude upgrade, as root (or sudo, or whatever
the hell you do to install stuff in Ubuntu.)  Or, use synaptic, if
aptitude is not your cuppa tea.  You should be able to install it in
the same way you install any other package once you've added the
cinelerra repository to your souces.list.

Your sources.list is at /etc/apt/sources.list (or, it is in Debian --
I'm assuming it is located in the same spot in Ubuntu).  To edit this,
in the gnome-terminal, enter the command
"sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list", which will open the file in your
text editor.  Then, copy and paste the repositories that I've given
above. After, using either aptitude, or apt, update, then install
cinelerra (or hit reload in synaptic, and then install cinelerra).
Again, make sure you've got the multimedia stuff from universe, and/or
multiverse, enabled.

Mark