Ichthyostega wrote:
> Dennis Schulmeister schrieb:
>>> Another problem is the "hand-written" GUI toolkit (libguicast), which just
>>> doesn't perform as smoothly and fast as -- say gtk or qt or even java/swing.
>> I already wondered which toolkit is used. I don't like java/swing that
>> much because it's absolutely not my taste. But I fell absolutely in love
>> with GTK.

libguicast originates from the time when other toolkits wheren't
available/fast enough (around 1996). I profiled certain things and its
true that in some respects things could be optimized and I'll working on
that. But generally guicast is a layer above the xlibs which doesnt
perform that bad. In far future (maybe 1-2 years) I might like to
transist cinelerra to GTK+. This would be a *very* big task and I
certainly won't do this alone. When it is time we can bring up this
topic again and negotiate with HV about such a change. But for now there
are IMO really more important things to do (stabilization, std libs,
some design refactoring).

There are some good reasons that the CV version follows HV closely and
don't want to loose mergability with it. To loosen this requirement I
started my branch where a I am already done some mildly intrusive
changes and working on it without too much care for HV mergability
(while I would like to keep it somewhat mergeable with the CV version).
I would really like if people who are serioulsy interested in
contributing new features to cinelerra join my efforts and help me on my
branch. As far as possible i'll try to bring fixes and good things back
into mainline CV (which won't always be possible).

There is a Wiki Page where I describe the things which I am working on:
http://www.pipapo.org/pipawiki/Cinelerra/Developers/ct/CinelerraEnhanced

        Christian

(I'll be 4 days out of office until wednesday, don't expect responses)