I have an MPEG2 video ES file created by demuxing an NTSC DVD.  Some of
the frames in it are the result of telecining, but I don't care about that
- at this point, I want to treat it as 29.97fps progressive.  I'm pretty
sure that none of this file is soft-telecine (with 23.976 fps stored in
the stream and the DVD player expected to perform the pulldown to generate
29.970).  It seems to be a mixture of 29.970 progressive and 29.970 hard
telecine.  However, I'm not certain of that; I haven't found a good way of
testing it.

When I try to load the file in Cinelerra, it takes up about 610 seconds on
the timeline.  That's both if I read the .m2v directly or if I
pre-generate a .toc file with mpeg3toc.  But all the other software I have
that can read .m2v files (namely, transcode and mplayer) report it as
being 586 seconds in length.  Cinelerra reads it as about 4% longer than
the other software.  This creates problems because I'm using transcode and
custom software to create a visual index of my footage which I'll then use
while editing with Cinelerra; I need the frame counts to be the same
between the two.

When I ripped the DVDs I discarded the audio track because I didn't need
it, but I plan to go back and re-rip the audio from this chapter so I can
verify its length; that may give me some clue as to how long the video is
actually supposed to be.  At this point, though, it looks like Cinelerra's
MPEG reader is counting frames incorrectly.  Is there anything I can do
about it?
--
Matthew Skala
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                    Embrace and defend.