On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 21:15 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hey folks,
> What software are people using to capture screen activity (ie,
> starting programs, opening windows, etc in Gnome)?  I'm interested in
> integrating captures of web browser activity into a Cinelerra project
> and wondered what programs people found best to do this.  My window
> environment is Gnome.

I've tried several, but my personal favourite and the only one I use now
is RecordMyDesktop:
http://recordmydesktop.iovar.org/

Advantages:
 - easily scripted - has good command line interface
 - records audio at the same time
 - captures to ogg/theora, easily converted to any other format
   with ffmpeg or mencoder
 - can record just one window, or a fixed screen area, or the whole
   screen
 - window manager neutral

I've got a script which prompts for parameters, does the recording, then
encodes to flash video - if you're interested, give me a yell.

Screencasting can be very satisfying. I use it to teach my website
clients how to administer their sites, and they love it.

Cheers
David