I assume your second box is a node in a renderfarm, correct?  If so, I'd
like to hear about your farm setup (CPU speeds of primary & farm PCs)
and perceived performance improvement.

scott

Hi Scott

Primary box is running on an AMD64 X2 4200 with 2GB RAM.
Second box has 1GB RAM and AMD64 3200.

I have a pair of ASUS A8N-SLI Motherboards and the boxes connect through a 10/100 ethernet switch.

Perceived performance improvement of background rendering was close to double that of the primary box running on its own.

That was an impression I got watching the background render completion bar as the node data comes back (inch inch inch *jump* inch inch inch *jump*). Logic would say it can't be double so perhaps a 30-40% speed increase for background render on this sort of set up is closer... The real result for me was that the 'transaction speed' (parcelling our of jobs, NFS transfers etc.) appeared to be practically zero in relation to the time taken by the actual rendering. I wonder if this would change as the number of nodes increased.

Those qualitative results are from 2 months back. I was running FC4 64 on both machines on cloned hard drives. Cinelerra CV version was probably something like svn 1008.

I'm sorry I can't provide a genuine quantative result at the moment. It would be pretty easy but...my second 'node' is out of action waiting for me to have the money to buy a new hard-drive. Logically I also need to get myself a 10/100/1000 switch to take advantage of the GB onboard network ports on my machines. And some RAID/LVM striped drives would be nice addition too.

all the best and thanks for 'Crazed Mule... ' I'm really enjoying it.

Graham