Christian Einfeldt wrote:
hi

Thanks for this suggestion!  But a few questions:

On 8/20/07, *Aaron Newcomb* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    ffmpeg -i file.ogg file.mp3

Why did you leave out -o ?  For example, why not:

ffmpeg -i flie.ogg -o file.mpg?

Becouse thats how ffmpeg works.
Also, someone else suggested that I do this:

ffmpeg -i mansour.ogg -target pal-dvd mansour.mpg

This will give full frame DVD. The source is though normally not a full frame.

Consider.

ffmpeg -i file.ogg -target pal-dvd -s 352x288 file.mpg
ffmpeg -i file.ogg -target pal-dvd -s 352x576 -aspect 16:9 file.mpg

Remember that the ITU-Rec 601 spesifies that the viewable screen is 702 px wide. So the 4:3 og 16:9 is on pal 702x576. Consider therefor croping the source on the side, if there are black lines. This will give you better compression.

ffmpeg -i file.ogg -target pal-dvd -cropleft 8 -cropright 8 -s 704x576 -qmin 6 file.mpg ffmpeg -i file.ogg -target ntsc-dvd -cropleft 8 -cropright 8 -s 704x480 -qmin 6 file.mpg

The qmin prevents unnecessary runaway bandwidth usage. (goes in to VBR when q=6, prevents padding, 6 is a LOW number)

Again, I am noticing that there is no -o here. Why is that? Also, I am in the US, and I am primarily interested in distributing this film via the Internet Archive and YouTube. I guess that we could re-render for PAL and NTSC later.
You should render what the source is closest to. If it's from a NTSC source (eg 320x240,15fps), use NTSC.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions!
:-)
--
Mike Menk