On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 14:10 +0200, Herman Robak wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 05:26:54 +0200, Graham Evans
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>   If the codec returns uncompressed 4:2:0 or 4:1:1 data, then the temporary
> shouldn't just repeat the colour pixels in a 2x2 or 4x1 pattern.  That's
> not upsampling!

I was originally repeating chroma pixels myself, then after hearing this
kind of talk on #cinelerra, I tried upsampling the chroma with linear
interpolation. Result? Lots of small border artefacts of strange
colours.

To those who believe pixel duplication is not the way to go, can you
point me to some digestible and specific algorithms (and preferably some
straightforward reference code as well) that gives better upsampling?

Better yet, something not polluted by patent encumbrance.

My google searches for 'chroma upsampling' point me mainly to patents
websites.

Cheers
David