Fabianne Balvedi wrote:
> [...]

We started already to work on a 'cinelerra3' (me, ichthyo, other people
from IRC). We have a vision, a plan, design documents and already some code.

Some docs on my wiki you may read:
 http://www.pipapo.org/pipawiki/Cinelerra3/Announcement
 http://www.pipapo.org/pipawiki/Cinelerra3/DesignProcess/Manifest

This wiki is almost phased out now, we document inside the code
repository, but comments/edits there will be acknowledged.

> First thing to do is gather this people to discuss about the future of
> cinelerra, identify the main flaws and its solution, make a plan to
> organize the place and set up for new features.
I dont want to go into the details, just an introduction:
 * We rewrite it from scratch, but reuse code and ideas where possible
 * We work bottom up, first a core render engine, the GUI at last
 * Being language agnostic, plugin-interfaces will be plain old C then
   it is possible to write things in different programming languages
 * Using a free distributed devlopment model, that is:
  * for the developers, there is no (mandatory) central point, anyone
    can work on it, everyone is equal
  * Discussion is done on irc or in private mails
  * final decisions are published inside the repository docs
  * lowering entry barriers as much as possible

> Cinelerra needs a project leader, an interface designer, and more
> people with defined roles that should be choosen on this meeting.
This designated roles are secondary, first and foremost Cinelerra needs
people who actually *DO* things, then then the one who maintains the
communication about merges or the one who works on the GUI or whatever
gets this role de-facto.

> Developers of other softwares are also welcome. Cinelerra is, so far,
> the only video free editing video editing software with professional
> approach, but it could share a lot of things with other software, such
> as effects, for example, that shoul be usable in any video software,
> just like we have LADSPA for audio. There is already a video effect
> standar called Frei0r that cinelerra does not support.
Frei0r is quite limited, for cinelerra we would like more professinal
plugins. I don't want to blame it, actually this simplicity is also a
big advantage for frei0r, easy, fast, pragmatic. We will certainly use
it too and there are many other requests by users (gstreamer, commercial
plugins, ...) this will be addressed.

> 2. Diagnostics
>
> Cinelerra code is not very well documented, so few people have the
> idea of how tuff is to deal with it. Second step is to see what must
> be done so we can invite more people to colaborate with the code.
> Documentation, refactoring, etc. It also has to work on the API so
> other people can write plugins and effects.
This is one, albeit minor of the reasons why we want a rewrite for
cinelerra3. There is too much cruft which makes refactoring (i tried
quite a lot and gave up) hard and unsatisfactionary. Next, since
upstream doesnt cooperate very well the only gain we get is a refactored
sourcebase which lost the mergability with upstream but still much old
undocumented design cruft.

> In other words, lots of work that are a pain in the ass but has to be
> done in order to advance properly. And passion has a limit. There must
> be people getting money to work on that.
I agree, but this must be clearly defined. Since it is a free project
anyone who contribute must be aware that some might get money and some
(probably he) might not.

> 3. Make a plan
>
>  Based on the diagnostics and on researches with users and other video
> editing tools, define how cinelerra will look and act in a not so
> distant future. With that goal in mind, make a reasonable plan to make
> it happen.
>
> 3. Set up a core development team
>
> No secret here. Few people dedicated to make it happen, including an
> interface designer.
Just join us, clone the git repository:
 git clone git://git.pipapo.org/cinelerra3/ichthyo cinelerra3

read our in-repository wiki (design and docs):
 firefox cinelerra3/wiki/index.html

When you want to hack on some things JUST DO IT!, probably after
communicating your ideas on irc or via mail (personal mail to the
involved developers)

When you done something commit it to your git
 git commit -a -m 'message about what you have done'

And publish it to the anonymous public repo I host here
 git push git://git.pipapo.org/cinelerra3/mob master:refs/heads/$NAME

> 4. Bounties
>
> The core team can offer bounties for parts of the job they choose.
> This will attracat more developers to the community.
I think bounties are really suboptimal, they may serve well for
'bandaid' fixes, they may accumulate few tens to lets be optimistic
$1000 at most for some pragmatic fix/feature some users want. Thats
nothing what gives a constant motivation and thats nothing which
improves core design, documentation and optimizations which users won't
notice.
If we want to be serious about funding developement we need a mostly
constant, dependable stream of funding. When it turns out that a free
software project can feed a few developers then it would be really nice.
Just imagine we could attract about 20 little TV stations, Universities,
Media Schools, .. to found about $500 each month for the project, that
would give enough money to pay 2-3 Developers working fulltime on the
project (any may put money in Bounty buckets too).
This raises the question if it would be fair when some people get money
and some don't, for me it is very important that money paied should be
transparent.

> 5. Attract contributors
>
> Mantain a nice looking website, a wiki, tools for easy translation of
> the interface and of the online documentation, etc. are goos
> strategies to attract people to contribute. Its also important to find
> people to package the software for different distributions.
Few people may have noticed that I didn't worked on cin3 for some time,
partly because I had other things to do and most importantly because I
delayed cin3 for a small project providing a infrastructure for open
project development where I am working on right now. I hope to finish
that within the next weeks (helpers would be welcome) and maybe then we
can deploy on cinelerra.org. I was also talking/thinking with hermanr
about setting up a own server to host cinelerra.org which makes us free
to install software and maintain it in any way we want (build farm,
wiki,...), while I can't dontante money for that, I would offer help in
administrating it.

        Christian