2008/1/30, Timothy Baldridge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> To quote you, "no offense intended", but why do we need mpeg2 support
> at all? I did videography work for a few years and never had a need
> for that. Convert your mpeg to a real editing format and go from
> there. For that matter, I prefer image sequences. Give me an example
> of a single program that natively handles mpeg2 video and I'll show
> you 4 that don't. Premiere, FCP, Flint/Effect, After Effects, they
> don't. mpeg is a distribution format never, ever, edit in mpeg2 it
> looks like trash compared to DV and uncompressed video. The only
> reason I can think of where I'd want mpeg2 is for editing DVDs and
> hopefully we're reaching for a bigger audience than that.

HDV == MPEG2

HDV is getting more popular.

Reencoding to a "real editing format" takes A) Time B) Much more
diskspace. (No matter how much diskspace you have, it tends to get
filled, so don't waste it)

and C) Some people would like to preserve their footage in the form
that it was originally captured in.

And above all, it CAN be done (see libmpeg3, it is almost complete!!)
therfore it HAS to be done!

Cheers
-Richard

PS.: We want it for mpeg4 too, AVCHD == MPEG4

--
Are you teaching the What and the How but without the Why and the When?