On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 23:44:28 +0200, Jonathan Leighton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a Cinelerra newbie, so please forgive me if this is blatantly
> obvious.
>
> I have a small video project which I am trying to export for a DVD. I am
> using the instructions here:
> http://crazedmuleproductions.blogspot.com/2007/06/beginners-guide-to-exporting-video-from.html
>
> Cinelerra tells me to video is 2 minutes and 26 seconds long. This is
> supported when I export the audio, which comes out at 2 minutes and 26
> seconds as well. Unfortunately, however, when I export the video file,
> it comes out as 1 minute and 37 seconds, which obviously means when I
> mux them together the audio is out of sync.

 That was a bigger difference that I anticipated ...

> I've tried everything and
> can't figure out why this is happening. Here is the console output from
> the video export:
>
> trying popen( ffmpeg -f yuv4mpegpipe -i - -y -target dvd -ilme -ildct -f
> mpeg2video /home/turnip/Documents/BiologyFilm/film.m2v)

...snip...

> Input #0, yuv4mpegpipe, from 'pipe:':
>   Duration: N/A, bitrate: N/A
>   Stream #0.0: Video: rawvideo, yuv420p, 720x480, 29.97 fps(r)
> Assuming NTSC for target.
> Output #0, mpeg2video, to '/home/turnip/Documents/BiologyFilm/film.m2v':
>   Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 720x480, q=2-31, 6000 kb/s,
> 29.97 fps(c)

 ...but still, is your video really NTSC?

My quick snooping on the registrar records for jonathanleighton.com
suggest that you live in Reading in the UK.  That is PAL country.

Cinelerra defaults to NTSC.  It has to be told to use 720x576 pixels
and 25 frames per second.  I have changed the default to PAL in my
private build of Cinelerra, and I will check that change in someday.
Yes, that will be less convenient for those in NTSC land, but they
are fewer.

The ultimate solution is to set the default according to LOCALE,
and to nag the users who load PAL video into an NTSC project or
vice versa.  That's for a rainy day, or a longer manic episode.

--
Herman Robak