Ed,

admittedly, the titler seems not to be Cinelerra's strongest feature.
Create the titles in OpenOffice and Gimp (or some other external program),
then import as still image that can be panned and zoomed in cinelerra.

Sorry I can't help with your compiling issue,
i have always only used the precompiled CV versions.
Most times they did work fine...

Cheers, Georg

--
dr. kurt georg hooss