Perhaps you could use the images resized to an image smaller than the video
frame with a green border, Make a jpeg of just the green background the same
size as your video frame (1440x1080 16:9 aspect) On a 2nd video track expand
the frame to cover your timeline and insert pic where needed. Then on your
original track use chroma key. right click on chroma key and use get color
from picker or adjust accordingly.

If you know how to use blender you could animate your images on a green
bacground and do the same thing with more sophisticated camera movements but
you should be able to use the camera/projector automation to set your image
where ever you want with cinelerra.

My 2 cents