Hi John!

I'd certainly advice you to do as much of the music work as possible
outside Cinelerra. It'll be much more comfortable and stable approach.
Render the dialogue/sfx tracks to wav (unless they already are in that
format) and mix them with the music in Ardour for example. Then render
out the final soundtrack (incl. music) and put it in Cinelerra as the
only sound in your project. You don't really have to render your final
video before that.

-Heikki

2009/6/1 John Detwiler <jdetw...@earthlink.net>:
> Hi, All,
>
> Looking for advice and suggestions on audio editing....
>
> I'm completing a one-hour piece, and am about to add 'incidental music'
> to the soundtrack.  It seems to me that keyframing the audio 'fade' will
> be a tedious method of bringing the music levels up and down (as the
> dialog comes and goes, etc.)
>
> So, does anyone have an opinion on these, or other,alternatives?
>
> (1) Add 'music' tracks to the Cinelerra project, then keyframe its
> 'fade' function, and render all the audio at once; or
>
> (2) Render the project to an intermediate mpeg, without background
> music, then create a 'music' track (on, say, Audacity) and manipulate
> the levels in Audacity.  Then, finally, layer the music track onto the
> mpeg with a separate pass through Cinelerra; or
>
> (3) Learn how to use 'shared tracks' (which are a total mystery to me)
> to do something more clever, which might involve 'compressing' the audio
> automagically?
>
> How would you do it?  (FWIW: the rendering is to NTSC and most of the
> audio originates as .wav)
>
> Thanks!

Ystävällisin terveisin,
Heikki Repo