Hello Simeon,

That works. Much better than using the pipe with mpeg2enc, which always
resulted in errors, no matter what settings I used in the format as well
as the parameters passed to mpeg2enc.
I have been busy in the mean time and found that exporting to mov or mkv
or avi, using a variety of codecs, and then using ffmpeg to convert the
result to mpg also does the trick.
But in all cases (also when I follow your advise) something strange
happens: when playing the movie, there is a little pause whem the border
between two scenes is crossed. You see, for purpose of testing, I used 5
pieces of footage in the timeline, one after another and no gaps in
between.So there are 4 places where a new scene starts and always this
little pause occurs when passing this border, a pause that last no longer
than a fraction of a second but is still very noticable.

Is this typical for mpeg footage?

Regards,

Ed