Arthur,
I have a script that contains:

   ffmpeg -f yuv4mpegpipe -i - -y -target ntsc-dvd -flags ilme+ildct -f
   mpeg2video $1

that I pipe cinelerra rendering to. Works for me.

I guess you could use the pipe directly in cinelerra by changing the $1 to a % sign. I use a script and have several different pipe command strings in it all but one of which is commented out.

mpeg2enc and ffmpeg change, or have in the past, their command line arguments so when they have updated, things that did work stopped working. If all else fails, try the documentation for the version of mpeg2enc or ffmpeg you are using to see what works.

In looking at your

   ffmpeg -f yuv4mpegpipe -i - -y -target ntsc-dvd -ilme -ildct -hq -f
   mpeg2video %

command, I think the "-ilme -ildct" may be causing the problem depending on the version of ffmpeg. My line uses "-flags ilme+ildct" instead which is what is required by my version.

Regards,
John