I personally don't know about the X library headers. I'd have to do a Google search so I'll leave that up to you.

Most library files are placed in /lib and /usr/lib although there are probably others scattered about depending on the install method (like compiling and installing an app in your home directory may leave some .so files in your home directory). Some of the developers on the list may fill in more information.

Take care,
Tom King

Quoting dafhobson <d...@dafhobson.com>:

Thanks Tom
Yes I'm using Karmic 9.10 (which I notice has suddenly started playing .MOV files rather well)

So in each case I will install the -dev as well .. thanks.
may I ask about 'X library headers'. What are they and what do I do with them?... or - where can I find out! One thing I have never understood.. where do the library files get saved to and how does Cinelerra know where to look? Sorry these are dummy questions.

Regards
Daf Hobson.

"Concern for man and his fate must always form the chief interest of all technical endeavors. Never forget this in the midst of your diagrams and equations." --Albert Einstein