>       the error says something like "virtual int
>       FileMOV::read_frame(VFrame*):quicktime_read_frame/quicktime_decode_video
>
>   failed, result:"
>
>       But, it doesn't say anything about wha the error is.

My understanding is that the error is coming from libquicktime, when
trying to read a frame of quicktime video.

I've had this too, and found many similar reports were made over a long
period of time. In my case it started when upgrading from "cinelerra" to
"cinelerra-xt".

However, I'm led to believe this is a problem in the libquicktime
package. I'm not at all sure I understood the explanation I got at the
time, and I'm quite certain I don't remember it now anyway... however, I
can answer this question:

>       Any ideas?  Can this be fixed in a hurry?

No, at least that's the impression I got.

But, for me, it's very format dependent. The problem can be avoided by
never picking certain encodings inside a QT file...

I'd just avoid the problem formats during your presentation :-)
Remember, "Any sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from a
rigged demo"...