Thanks all for your replies.

Ron
I have never yet managed to edit in Cinelerra. I never get beyond testing the playing of clips.

I want to edit .MOV files from my canon 5DMKII.
Cinelerra plays the picture but not sound (sowt codec etc etc) so I have tried encoding the sound part to m4p, mpeg4 and a couple of others using Winff, Handbrake (as was)
In all cases I cannot get proper sound sync when playing on the timeline.
I have tried shifting the sound in Preferences - no consistent results.
As a mentioned previously, there is no clear consistency. One moment the front clap is reasonably in sync; next play it is way out.

Beginning to wonder whether my machine is simply not up to what Cinelerra requires.

I did edit a short film on CS4 on this machine but not in .MOV All was transcoded first.

Ubuntu Lucid Lynx fresh install. Athlon II x4 620 (2.21GHz) GT9600 Graphics (old and slow) 4GB mem 1TB HDD. My main test is of a clock with seconds hand and clapperboards at beginning and end of clip - as a test.

Thanks
Daf