Many thanks for your help everybody.

For other non-coders and programmers, here is what happened.

/>Hermann wrote:-

>it looks that you saved the whole mail message as-is, including all the mail
>headers.
/
Correct. I saved what was visible on screen on the ARCHIVE pages - the only place I know to read. What I saw was a very very long string of letters with no spaces - yes - like email, but I don't know any better.

Your clue suggested that I open the copied block (which I had wrongly saved as sowt.diff in cinelerra-cv) in Thunderbird.

/>The patch program needs only the bare text content. Actually, this
>patch program looks for very specifically formatted text content. The relevant
>part of the patch starts with the line
>
>diff -Nau my_cinelerra/quicktime/Makefile.2 my_cinelerra_sowt/quicktime/Makefile.2
>
>i.e. the patch program looks for a line starting with the word "diff", followed
>by two file names./

Thunderbird extracted my wrongly saved sowt.diff file. Hurray!!!!! - but three lines at the top and one at the bottom had to be commented out ( # ) so that 'diff -Nau...' was the opening line. The new found file now worked after a various re-installs.

Is there a FORUM that I have missed, rather than the ARCHIVES ???

Thanks to all.
Daf