Op donderdag 14-10-2010 om 18:13 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Eli
Billauer:
> Odin Omdal Hørthe wrote:

[snip NTSC -> PAL HDV trouble]

> > Ooohh. You don't want to change the framerate. Really. That's a hard
> > problem to tackle, and it's better to just not tackle it. Just use the
> > framerate you're given at all times.
> >
> Agreed. Changing the framerate is asking the computer to guess what
> happened between subsequent still shots. I suppose there are programs
> that give reasonable results (does anyone know about such?), but unless
> you have a clever algorithm, it boils down to either averaging in time
> or accepting the jumps. Or just play the frames slower or faster as
> necessary.
>
> So I can offer a few tricks, but the bottom line is that you'll have to
> pick the one that is the least horrible for you:
> 1. Just override the given framerate of your footage or rendered video.
> That is, play it in 25 fps even though it has another original
> framerate. Works well in particular when the audio track is completely
> dubbed, so you don't need to slow down audio as well, and make everyone
> sound like monsters. Creates a slightly dramatic look, but does good to
> most footage.

OK, I did some testing, but I can't figure out how to get Cinelerra (or
another editor or CLI command) to change the actual playback framerate.
In several projects (e.g. nature footage), a 16% slower playback speed
is no problem at all, but what do I need to do to effectively have 30fps
NTSC footage being treated as 25fps PAL footage?

> 2. Use Time Average effect to smear the video in time. Will make the
> video look like jelly, but less jumpy.

It's a great effect in time lapse video and several other circumstances,
but the results are quite ugly when applied to the NTSC stuff.

> 3. Reduce to 24 fps (or 23.996 fps) for which there's a known method
> (reverse telecine) and force the frame rate to play at 25 fps. This 4%
> difference will go unnoticed.

Hmm, apparently I can use mplayer to perform this trick, but how do I
make MPlayer dump the result in a file instead of displaying it?

Anyway, thanks again.

Best regards,

Richard Rasker