straight copies from the camera's .MOD files with the following script
(in order to save the effort of replacing the 700 full file names in the
xml file):

#1 bin/bash

mkdir renamed

for i in *.MOD; do date_mod=`ls -l --time-style='+%Y%m%d-%H%M%S' $i |
awk '{print $6}'` ;cp $i renamed/MOV-"$date_mod".MOD ; done
exit;

Somehow here goes something wrong:

1. While the original e.g. MOV03C.MOD plays correctly in the compositor,
the terminal window shows numerous error codes like:

[mpeg @ 0x4295240]invalid dts/pts combination
[mpeg2video @ 0x2457260]warning: first frame is no keyframe

The first four frames are black, while the last frame is at 5.240 sec.
In Avidemux the file is 127 frames (5.120 sec), the Check Frames
function says "no error found".

2. In Cinelerra compositor, the copied file MOV-20081003-073428.MOD
again shows jerky movements, but the error messages do no longer appear.
the clip is now 5.000 sec long. There are no black frames at the front
anymore. In Avidemux the file is also 127 frames (5.120 sec), the Check
Frames function says "no error found".

3. I also (randomly) find copied files that play correctly with keyframe
errors, just like the original.

I get the impression that the copy command triggers a repair mechanism
that deletes the black frames.

Question: what (external?) player does Cinelerra with Monty's patches
use? Is it possible to run this player independently?
Has anyone a clue what's going on here? does the JVC camera make crap
files? Again, in all other players I see no defect in any version or
copy, it is only Cinelerra Compositor and the rendered output.

For the ones who want to check themselves I uploaded an example of
original and copied file on
https://www.strongspace.com/shared/lex2k41pvt

Best regards,

Sape