Am 21.02.2011 15:27, schrieb Paolo Valtorta:
> Why the "Cinelerra Bezier Patch" of Hermann Vosseler isn't in cinelerra
> code? IMHO is a good improvement.

Hi Paolo,

because at the time I wrote that patch, the Cinelerra community cared much
about mergeability with "Upstream" (the Heroine Warrior versions). At that
time, we started an review, which then stalled somewhat in the middle.
My patch indeed does some changes in the handling of the timeline window.
Not too disruptive, but likely to cause slight problems with merging.

The deeper reason is that at that time I also wanted to improve Cinelerra
and clean up some internals (like introducing setter methods and making
fields private, removing that silly "if (play-forwards).." distinctions
or somewhat cleaning up the internal handling of ctrl- shift- and alt
key-presses in the timeline window).

In the discussion at that time, it was pointed out that I should/could
maybe do it in smaller and less disruptive steps, which should be reworked
to be independent and could be applied / rejected in isolation. Actually,
*I* did not want to go this route, because I did the patch as a whole for
my own needs. That is, I had a clear concept oriented towards smooth handling
in practice. At that time I was working on a larger editing project, and it
would have been outright impossible to get ahead without these automatic
keyframe smoothing. Basically I had to circumvent the broken Transitions
in 80% of the project by using manual cross fades.

Thus I continued to use this patch privately -- and you probably know
the rest of the story. Frustrated with the experience that even small
and practical improvements to Cinelerra quickly grow into major
undertakings, when you apply some quality standards, I concluded
that some fundamentals need to be rectified first...

Which finally led me to engaging in the Lumiera project.

Regarding my patch -- when I see that currently way more disruptive
changes are done just on a happy "lets see if it breaks" basis, I
think we could indeed reconsider my patch. The last time I really
checked was a year ago, and at that time it still applied without
problems. Personally I'm still using an almost 2 years old version
of Cinelerra for my own work, but hey -- I am still on Debian/Lenny

So -- what do others think? Are there realistic chances to get
the patch into the official CV-Version?

Cheers,
Hermann V.