På Sun, 17 Jul 2011 07:41:18 +0200, skrev mohan manu <mohan...@gmail.com>:

Hi,
I have done shooting of my children movie with my canon 550d camera which
records in h.264 50mbps bitrate vbr mov format. And have done editing with
proxy files which were mjpeg codec for faster response in cinelerra. And
next for grading those footages i have exported as tiff sequence removing
all proxy files and workflow is going on nice. I have some doubt regarding
the quality of the footages.

Have you seen something with your naked eyes that gave you doubts?

The big thing is my camera records at YUV color space with full video range
i.e, 0-255. I choose 8bit RGB as my editing colorspace format. While i
import these footages does cinelerra consider it as full range color HD
footage? or does it takes on 16-235 video range?

I think that is handled by the codec, i.e. the codec scales, truncates
or clamps the range.  But I'm not sure how, when (or if?!) that happens
in Cinelerra.

And does cinelerra do good job at converting YUV to RGB?

I have not tested that.  Monty may have some insights to share on that.

Another workflow i am thinking of is converting all my original footage
using 5DtoRGB which converts to RGB Huff uncompressed codec and the
converter maintains full color range and does good YUV to RGB color
conversion.

I'm looking into DNxHD as a proxy and intermediate codec.  It looks
promising on my laptop.  The low bitrate 36Mb/s quality can play faster
than full framerate, and the high bitrate 185Mb/s quality _almost_
plays smoothly, and has visually transparent quality.  Fast forward
and backward and aggressive seeking are pleasantly responsive, even
for the 185Mb/s version.

http://www.itbroadcastanddigitalcinema.com/ffmpeg_howto.html
http://www.slashcam.com/EN/info/DNxHD-with-ffmpeg-or-mencoder-under-Ubuntu-434741.html

Mind you, it doesn't accept 1920x1088, the native video resolution of my
Canon EOS 7D, so I have to tell ffmpeg to scale or crop it to 1920x1080:

ffmpeg -i <input file> -b 185M -s 1920x1080 -vcodec dnxhd -acodec copy <output
file>

--
Herman Robak