I am far from a feature film editor, but I have produced some DVDs that run between 20 minutes to over an hour. But then I only use some basic features like rotating the frame when the source video horizon is not horizontal, titling, and video and audio transitions, rotating and scaling titles.

I use Kino for capture of the video from the camera.
I use Cinelerra for editing.
I use Dvdstyler for putting the parts together.

I have noticed that when I compile from source that Cinelerra has been more stable than when I used pre-compiled packages. I am on Fedora 15 and use the Fedora and RPMFusion repositories for packages. I use this process:

   sudo yum install dirac-devel faac-devel faad2-libs gsm-*
   imlib2-devel lame-libs* libdc1394-devel libvdpau-devel
   openjpeg-devel schroedinger-devel speex-devel texi2html x264-*
   xvidcore-* yasm gsm-devel libvorbis* libogg* libtool* libtheora*
   libpng* libjpeg* libtiff* esound* audiofile* libraw1394* libavc1394*
   freetype* fontconfig* nasm e2fsprogs* OpenEXR* fftw fftw-devel
   libsndfile* libiec61883* libdv* libquicktime ffmpeg xvidcore* lame
   lame-devel a52* faad2* x264* mjpegtools* faac* vlc*

and run

   sudo ldconfig

I use git to clone the repository.

   git clone git://git.cinelerra.org/j6t/cinelerra.git cinelerra

Since Fedora 15 (and others) does not support video4linux, I have to apply the patch to remove it from the Cinelerra source.

   patch -p0 -i remove-support-v4l-buzz-3.diff

which is found here: http://bugs.cinelerra.org/ticket/949

And since I use Monty's additions, I add:

   git remote add xiphmont
   git://git.xiph.org/users/xiphmont/cinelerraCV.git
   git remote update

Of course once you have cloned the repository, you only have to do a

   git pull

I am not a git guy, but this is what I do. Someone correct me if I have gone astray.

Then:

   ./autogen.sh
   ./configure --with-buildinfo=git/recompile --enable-opengl
   make -j 3

Maybe this is all trivial, but I never found ALL of this in one place.

Now here is a key thing I have noted:

Cinelerra often crashes or hangs when I try to load a project that has been saved with source in the Viewer Window. So my workflow now includes closing the source in the Viewer Window before saving the project. Whether Cinelerra still behaves this way, I do not know since I have not left source open in the Viewer Window for quite a while.

Regards,
John