Hi!

What's the "best" way for me to record the screen and audio in linux?

Actually I don't know. I edited a screen capture only once and I had to do *a lot* of frame by frame corrections. The video was very "blocked". The final quality was acceptable, thoug. A good HD that stood even severe zooming in.
http://vimeo.com/2193255

I suggest you try the recipe by Scott Frase. He is a very good friend of Cinelerra!
http://youtu.be/MhaOgNQ0Bbc

This link is in the documentation page I pointed you to. I strongly recommend you have a look at it.

How do you check the health of a capture file? I've always thought if it
played it was good.

Try playing it back frame by frame in Avidemux.

Ciao!
Raffaella