hello john,

/usr/bin/ld: .libs/libmpeg3.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against
`.rodata.str1.1' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
with -fPIC
.libs/libmpeg3.o: could not read symbols: Bad value

Did you, by chance, move the project from a 32-bit to a 64-bit machine?
I have the impression that there is a mixup between 32 and 64 bit libraries
here.

aha - I followed the instructions too enthousiastically,
and I saw too late that the command

./configure --with-buildinfo=git/recompile --enable-mmx --without-pic

should not be used on 64bit, so I relaunched:
./configure --with-buildinfo=git/recompile

which seemed to build a proper makefile, but apparently it did not .. ?

If it was a 'move' I'd suggest make a 'make clean' or even 'make distclean',
and start again completely.

'make clean' fixed the job - thanks a lot for helping me out

bye

peter