Einar Rünkaru wrote:

> > So what's the best video/audio codec for cinelerra and how do I get it.
> >
> > I am using cinelerra-cv-2.2 from the cinelerra-ppa repos on ubuntu 12.10.
> > The same behaviour I get using cinelerra-cv from the stable git repo from
> > cinelerra,org
> >
> > Any hints?
>
> There is a quite limited number of formats usable with cinelerra.
>
> Please read http://www.g-raffa.eu/Cinelerra/HOWTO/get_media_ready.html

Thank you Einar.

Two questions on that:

1.  suitable bitrate

DNXHD seems to me the most feasible format. Almost anywhere they recommend as
video bitrate 185 Mbps. However on this page¹ it says that this is the bitrate
for 1080i/50 which results in 25 fps. My camera gives 50 fps (1080p/50) which
would require a higher bitrate which is however not mentioned in the table.

In some forum someone recommends 240 Mbps for 1080p/50 projects.

I tried both bitrates and surprisingly if I choose 240M the resulting files get
smaller than the 180M ones.

So which bit rate do I use?

2. suitable audio codec.

The page Einar mentioned recommends pcm_s16le as audio codec. However my
installation of cinelerra does not like it for some reason. It says

new_acodec: couldn't find codec for "lpcm"

and the playback is again unstopable.

If I put an imported .wav into the timeline, everything's fine.

Thanks

Johannes