On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Einar Rünkaru <eina...@smail.ee> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 2:59 AM, Arvind R <arvin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Einar Rünkaru <eina...@smail.ee> wrote:
>> > Hi.
>> >
>> > Thank you for the patches. I shall look at them closely soon.
>> >
>> > Quick browsing showed that not all are related to ffmpeg.
>> >
>> > How about seeking? Does it work now?
>> >
>> No, except to begining and end
>> > Decoder is useless for editing if there is no reiiable frame exact
>> > seeking.
>> It's still useful - render .MTS file to YUV pipe and have ffmpeg
>> encode it to DNXHD
>> and the audio to .ac3 - combine them back again to really edit without
>> losing quality. Am sending another patch fot the .ac3 encoder.
>>
> It is impossible to cut out only useful parts for conversion if there is no
> seeking. Why then load it to Cinelerra? One can convert it to an usable
> format with command-line ffmpeg (or any other suitable tool).
>
> Decoding, encoding with possible color conversion are all lossy.
>
> Einar

Need to edit media mostly in .MTS format in a community group
environment trying to produce documentaries. With the patches I've
sent, I can use cinelerra alone for the whole production - .MTS to
DNXHD/.ac3 which can then be edited.
The command line tools are difficult to teach. Now only the final
conversion to needed formats needs the command-line tools which can be
scripted. But it is far less messy to compose the final cut now, and
that too with much less disk space
and far better quality - with the ffmpeg reader working. And easier
for others in my group to use. A single-window solution!

AC3 encoding now works as mentioned in another mail to the list.

Arvind