So, after some experimenting, it seems that:

- the hanging happens when dragging segments. Cut and paste seems to
work without hangs. I don't know what to make of this (is dragging
really unnecessary?).
- the recipy from "Getting media ready on your disk" from Cinelerra
for Grandma[1], to convert our mpeg files to MJPEG[2], does not
prevent the hangs.

[1] http://www.g-raffa.eu/Cinelerra/HOWTO/get_media_ready.html
[2] ffmpeg -i original.MXF -vcodec mjpeg -qscale 1 -acodec pcm_s16le
intermediate.avi

Cinelerra also hangs a bit when loading files (using 'o'), after the
'generating .tco' step, before the new resource shows up in the
resources window.

Ch.