Am 18.03.2014 22:57, schrieb Mike Morris:
> And, last caveat, I know
> essentially nothing of what appears to be the current controversy,

So you're basically in the same situation as we all.
Without prior communication, Michael Collins, who was certainly not an
active member of the community since years, took opportunity of the
expired domain and posted public announcements. I can's see any
controversy here, just basic misdemeanor.

> Its open source, for goodness sake. Isn't this what open
> source is about - enabling and empowering people to improve, expand,
> experiment?

> I don't understand the angst and consternation.

I am not sure about "Angst" but the general consternation is understandable.
OpenSource, for sure, opens possibilities to experiment and expand what's there,
but it also means to work together with other volunteers. Moreover, for
"OpenSource" to be possible, some people care to keep the necessary
infrastructure running, and do so in their spare time.

Just to mention the necessity to keep sourcecode repositories and a mailinglist
or forum running. Without such, there is no "open source". How would you judge
someone who does announcements, but seemingly isn't interested in helping
with these core concerns?

If you're puzzled about my words, then please just visit

http://git.cinelerra.org/gitweb

or

http://cinelerra.org/gitweb

and then visit the git-server on the (now moved) community site,
which still runs on the same server machine we're keeping up since years:

http://git.cinelerra-cv.org/gitweb