Reference: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_tech_note091 86a00807213f5.shtml
The General Routing Encapsulation (GRE) tunnel is not supported by the Cisco Catalyst 3750 Series Switches. Even though this feature can be configured with CLI, the packets can be neither switched by hardware, nor by software, which increases the CPU utilization. Note: Only Distance Vector Multicast Routing Protocol (DVMRP) tunnel interfaces are supported for multicast routing in the Catalyst 3750. Even for this, packets cannot be switched with hardware. The packets routed through this tunnel must be switched through software. The larger number of packets forwarded through this tunnel increases CPU utilization. Regards, Masood Ahmad Shah -----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Ollie Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 9:59 PM To: [email protected] Subject: [c-nsp] Tunnel a VLAN across the WAN? Is there a way using 3750's to tunnel a VLAN across my WAN? The people that run the cafeterias are installing cash registers on two different campuses that supposedly need to be on the same L2 VLAN. AFAIK they are only running IP but I may be wrong on that. I have 3750's on either end that can terminate the tunnels. I've never done anything like this so I'm not sure what to search for (the search terms that occurred to me didn't result in anything that looked useful). Yes, I know it's a bit of a silly idea but I didn't choose the cash registers and they just dropped this in my lap five minutes ago and wanted it done ASAP :(. Jeff _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
