Aaron wrote:
Did you setup ebgp multihop since you are doing peering to the loopbacks?

Yes.

Curious on why you would want to use the loopback instead of the interface for ebgp. Definitely not the recommended way unless you are trying to load balance on multiple links.

Here is my (slightly edited) response to someone else who emailed me off-list:

To be honest, the loopback over eBGP was not an intended design goal. It just so happened that I had this particular router in an iBGP mesh (lab environment), and realized I wanted to push the router to a remote location and gain practical experience on how to conceptually implement a no-export community for a private ASN.

I overlooked the loopback addresses when I put the router in its own AS, due to the fact the PtP addresses did not need to change. I just threw in the ebgp-multihop blindingly instead of renumbering the neighbors and the update-source.

Most likely, I would not have even payed any attention to the configuration until later review if I hadn't have had the packet loss problem.

---

For the sake of completeness, the router that was swallowing the packets is running Quagga on FreeBSD. I had forgotten to set the ip.forwarding sysctl variable to true.

Steve