I've noticed that our T1 business is dropping off in favor of Ethernet business and I'm trying to do some device consolidation. I'm looking for some NM for 36xx/37xx/38xx routers that can handle more than 2 T1s with integrated CSU/DSU---and I'm beginning to think that they don't exist.

I have a 4-port ATM IMA card, but that doesn't present the controller as a separate device so you can't go 'around' the ATM SAR the way you could with, for example, an MFT port on a MC3810.

So: is there something I'm missing? Can I run standard T1s (non-ATM) into a 4-port or 8-port ATM card?

If not... is there anything other than buying 2W NMs and stuffing them full of T1 ports?

I already have enormous numbers of 4-port serial cards, but I'm trying to get rid of our external CSU/DSU boxes and just run the T1 straight into the router.

Am I nuts or does Cisco not handle this case?

jms
--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494