This isn't specifically Cisco but hopefully is fairly on-topic. What is the best practice (and real world) handling for voice and video queues?
I am working on QoS implementation over our enterprise WAN (provider supplied MPLS) and was told that it was ok to combine voice and video in the priority queue, or even put video as priority and give voice a dedicated, but not priority, class. This is counter to everything that I knew/heard, which is that voice is low bandwidth and not bursty, where video is high bandwidth and bursty, so it could starve other queues. My options are: * voice as priority, with video dedicated non-priority * voice and video combined as priority * video as priority, with voice dedicated non-priority Does the queue starvation concern only matter if the priority queue is using near 100% of the circuit? I do have the ability to control the bandwidth used at other points if that helps. I want to avoid creating jitter in either the voice or video classes. Does anyone have any input or references about what the best approach is? Thanks, Josh _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
